Good music is part of training for many athletes. In this Best Headphones for Cycling reviews are particularly important when cycling. Because you are moving at high speed on the street, surrounded by pedestrians, cars and other road users.
In this text we explain to you which factors are important when choosing the right headphones for a musical bike tour. We also give you an overview of the 8 best headphones for cycling. These are ideally wireless and connected to the smartphone or another playback device via Bluetooth. This means that they can be used more flexibly and there is no risk of getting caught in the cables.
A Bluetooth connection has many other advantages. Entries can also be made in the device via Bluetooth. So you can easily turn up the music, pause, or accept an incoming call at the touch of a button. The buttons for this are in easily accessible places on the headphones. The operation is intuitive and does not distract you from what is happening.
n addition, many headphones have a built-in microphone. You can use the headphones to answer an incoming call and talk to the person you are talking to without needing your hands. This is particularly important for cyclists.
Table of Contents
Guide: Best Headphones for Cycling Reviews
Anyone who is sporty on a racing bike or mountain bike is usually an endurance athlete: You sit on the bike for several hours and cover long distances. It is important that the athlete is balanced. This often works with the right music. It ensures that you are well entertained even on long journeys, that you can increase your performance with the right songs or switch off with quiet sounds.
To do this, you need headphones that sit comfortably, have a long battery life and deliver good sound quality . The optimal fit is especially important when you are out on a mountain bike. If you move over sticks and stones, they shouldn’t be too loose. Because then there is the risk that you may lose them.
But there are other properties in which the devices differ considerably. When buying, you should find out how intensively the respective headphones can reduce wind noise . If the wind flowing past is too loud, at high speed it even means that you hardly notice anything from the music from the headphones.
There are different types of headphones that are suitable for cyclists . There are many different variants of the so-called in-ear headphones alone . There are many different types, from models in which the earphones are not connected, to models in which they are attached to a bracket, to models in which they are hooked in the auricle.
Conventional headphones, which consist of two ear cups, are also popular. They are also known as closed headphones. So-called bone conduction headsets have also been popular for several years . They protect the eardrum and are ideal for cycling. In the following recommendation we explain what these headphones are all about.
What is The Best Headphones for Cycling Reviews
In the following, we would like to introduce you to the best headphones currently on the market. They are arranged according to the above categories. First, we present your bone conduction headsets, then the in-ear headphones.
- Open-Ear Design - Patented bone conduction headphones deliver premium audio through the cheekbone. Unlike over ear headphones, Aeropex keeps you connected and aware of your surroundings.
- Lightweight & Comfortable - Experience unmatched comfort with our most lightweight and comfortable sport headset, featuring a bud-free, pain-free design for all-day listening.
- Eight Hours of Music & Calls - Enjoy 8 continuous hours of music or podcasts, plus dual noise-canceling mics for crystal clear calls.
- IP67 Waterproof Rating - Completely sweat and waterproof earphones for workouts, fitness and running. Moisture detection alert included for safe charging. (Not suitable for swimming). PremiumPitch 2.0+
- Wireless Convenience - Easy multipoint Bluetooth pairing with iOS and Android Bluetooth-ready devices. Multifunction Button to play, pause, skip, activate voice assistant, answer calls, etc.with one click.
Listening to your surroundings while cycling is an important requirement. The AfterShokz Aeropex bone conduction headphones do not lie on your ears and still deliver a clear sound. The bone conduction technology was developed to get more information about your surroundings. The sound vibrates through the bones of your face, leaving your ears exposed. This is great for cyclists who need to know what is happening on the road.
8 hours of battery life is pretty good for all types of bike tours, even if you go on longer trips. The Bluetooth is very reliable, so you can stow your smartphone in your pocket.
The feeling of the vibrations on your face takes some getting used to, which will surely bother some people. Bone conduction technology also struggles to replicate the bass. A Bass Boost was built in to solve some of the bass problems of the previous models (Aftershokz Air).
The sound clarity is respectable for bone conduction headphones.
Beats PowerBeats Pro
- Totally wireless high-performance earphones
- Up to 9 hours of listening time (more than 24 hours with charging case)
- Adjustable, secure-fit earhooks for lightweight comfort and stability
- Reinforced design for sweat & water resistance during tough workouts
- Volume & track controls on each earbud, voice capability, and Auto Play/Pause
For a completely wireless experience with powerful bass, the PowerBeats Pro are a must for every cyclist.
Although they have ear hooks, for most people they should fit snugly under a helmet. The in-ear headphones are lightweight and completely wireless, which makes it impossible to get caught. The fit is very secure and does not require any adjustments.
To protect them from the weather, they have IPX4 rain and sweat protection.
And since you’re a busy person, you can make phone calls or give voice commands from your bike, with built-in microphones on each side.
You don’t have to worry about running out of battery either. With the fast charging you get about 9h per charge (24h with the case), and it takes less than 1 hour to charge.
The PowerBeats Pro are perfect for all bass lovers who want deeper and stronger bass in their music.
What to watch out for: The earplugs can irritate the ears of smaller people. They are pretty expensive. Due to the larger construction, there is some wind noise.
HyperX Cloud Alpha S headset
- Custom-tuned HyperX 7.1 Surround Sound
- Bass adjustment sliders
- HyperX dual chamber drivers
- Game and chat balance
- Signature HyperX comfort
The HyperX Cloud Alpha S headset has comparable technical specifications to the two models mentioned above. It is coupled to the respective player via Bluetooth and has a microphone that minimizes ambient noise, especially the rustling wind.
The special thing about these headphones is that you can fold their arms like glasses. It fits comfortably in a pocket when you no longer need it. The scope of delivery also includes earplugs. With them you can avoid that too loud ambient noises put you down. You should not use the earplugs when cycling or jogging. They are only intended for you to use at home. Thanks to the buttons on the bracket, you can easily select the music and adjust the volume.
- Jaybird RUN true wireless earbuds give you a secure comfort-fit, no matter the shape of your ear, with interchangeable tips and fins. It has In-ear design - Fits securely and directs music into your ears for full uninterrupted audio.
- Sweat all you want, push yourself in the rain, and get muddy. Jaybird run running headphones are Sweat-proof and water-resistant. It is so you can easily wear these headphones while working out.
- You can customize your sound by adjusting the lows, mids, and highs to pump up your true wireless Sport experience. The Jaybird app can locate your buds if they go missing
- 12 hour battery life in your pocket and fast charging on-the-go - true wireless earbuds make running with music feel Limitless. 4 hour play time + 8 hour charge case
- One Bud feature - To run with just the right earbud in so you can tune into conversations or the road. 20Hz - 20kHz frequency response for faithful sound reproduction.
In the case of the Jaybird Run in-ear headphones, the name already suggests the purpose for which the device was developed. However, it is ideal not only for running, but also for cycling.
The headphones consist of two in-ears that are not connected to each other. So they are loose and just put in the ear. Such headphones have recently become true wirelesscalled. So that they are optimally attached, brackets and so-called ear tips in various sizes are included in the scope of delivery. You can individually plug them into the two small speakers.
You will also receive a storage box with the delivery in which the earphones can be charged. It works like a power bank, so you can charge the earphones on the go if the battery doesn’t have enough power. You can control the sound of the earphones via your smartphone. They’re not prone to water and sweat, making them ideal for runners or cyclists.
Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Earbuds
- OUR BEST FIT YET – We scanned thousands of ears to create the best-fitting earbuds for sport that we’ve ever created, with a special grip coating, to make sure they stay in while you work out.
- OUR MOST DURABLE – Waterproof. Sweatproof. Workout-proof. With IP57-rated protection there’s nothing holding you back from pushing yourself further and working harder than ever.
- KEEPING YOU SAFE – HearThrough mode lets the outside in, like a volume button for the real world, keeping you alert and aware of what’s going on around you so you’re always in full control.
- UP TO 28 HOURS OF USE – Up to 7.5 hours of listening time on a single charge, and a total of up to 28 hours with the charging case. You’ll need to recharge before they do.
- CRYSTAL-CLEAR CALLS – Four microphones, the latest digital signal processing and pioneering beamform technology means these tiny pieces of tech offer great call quality wherever you are.
The Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Earbuds are the in-ear headphones that we would like to introduce to you last. The special thing about it is that the appropriate buttons are attached to the earplugs to adjust the volume or change the pieces of music. This sets these headphones apart from others of this type.
These headphones also have the necessary functions to record your heart rate or other parameters that runners or cyclists can use. The headphones have an IP67 certification. This means that in theory it can also be used for swimming. To do this, however, you have to be within reach of the player at all times, which, however, limits your radius of action to only a few meters. Two microphones are built into each of the two earphones.
Plantronics Backbeat FIT
- STABILITY: Secure-fit earloops, patent-pending eartip design and stabilizers, and a 2-in-1 cable clip that you can fasten to your shirt or use as a cinch provide maximum stability for your wireless headphones during your most rigorous training sessions.
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Bluetooth headphones have an ultra-lightweight design providing all-day comfort from one destination to the next.
- PASSIVE NOISE-CANCELING: 6 mm drivers and passive noise-canceling eartips deliver deep, rich sound and block out noise. Whether you’re in the gym or running errands, Plantronics headphones will suit your life on the go.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY: Listen wirelessly on your BeackBeat FIT with up to six hours of power on a single charge and get a full hour of listening from a 15-minute charge.
- WATER-RESISTANT AND SWEATPROOF: IPX5-rated water-resistant and sweatproof design protects the wireless earbuds from sweat, rain and spills.
The Plantronics Backbeat FIT headphones are in-ear headphones with two earbuds connected to one another. Thanks to the flexible band, it adapts well to the shape of the back of the head and does not slip during exercise. Whether you run, ride a racing bike or ride a mountain bike, the headphones fit perfectly. You can pause the music or take a call using the buttons on the two earphones.
When you buy the headphones, you have access to audio coaching with the appropriate smartphone app. With it you can prepare yourself piece by piece for the next sporting challenge. The headphones are characterized by good sound quality and a long battery life.
Aftershokz Trekz Air
- Rebranding Update - Aftershokz Aeropex has been renamed as Shokz OpenRun. Welcome to SHOKZ!
- Open-Ear Design - Patented bone conduction technology delivers premium audio through the cheekbone, keeping you connected and aware of your surroundings.
- Light & Comfortable - Experience unmatched comfort with our most lightweight and comfortable headphones. Aeropex Mini features a 0.5 inch smaller band for a more snug fit.
- Eight-Hours of Music & Calls - Enjoy 8 continuous hours of music and dual noise-canceling mics for crystal clear calls.
- IP67 Waterproof Rating - Completely sweat and waterproof. Moisture detection alert included for safe charging. (Not suitable for swimming)
The Aftershokz Trekz Air headphones will give you a completely new listening experience. It is not a headphone in the classic sense. Because the sounds do not get directly into your ears, but are picked up by the skull bones.
From there they are vibrated to the ear. The small speakers are not placed in the auricles, but rather placed on the back of the cheekbones. This has the advantage that the ears remain free. So you get everything that happens in the area. The headphones consist of a titanium bracket. It is light and hugs the back of your head well. This makes it easy to carry. There are buttons on it that you can use to control the music selection.
The headphones are sweat-resistant, which makes the Aftershokz Trekz Air particularly attractive for use in sports. The built-in microphone allows you to make a phone call during training. It also helps to minimize ambient noise.
However, these advantages also come at a price. The headphones cost around 160 euros. Nevertheless, the investment can be worthwhile. For example, the British Athletics Federation recognizes these headphones. They are the only ones that participants are allowed to wear during an event.
Jaybird Vista 2
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ear.Specific uses for product : Sports and Exercise
- ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION cuts out background noise so you stay in the zone and perform at your max.
- PRODUCT NOTE: The earbuds include 3 sizes of interchangeable eargels. If the size of the earbud tips do not fit properly, change the earbud tips to ones that fit snugly in your ears to obtain the correct sound quality and call performance.
- SURROUNDSENSE keeps you connected and aware of your surroundings. Wind-guarded mics monitor ambient noise so you can stay spatially aware without missing a beat.
- EARTHPROOF DURABILITY IP68 waterproof, sweatproof, and dustproof, with MIL-STD 810G freeze, shock, and impact resistance..Note:If you face issue in Bluetooth connectivity please turn off the Bluetooth function for a couple of minutes, then turn it back on
The Jybird Vista 2 headphones are also Bluetooth headphones with both ear parts connected. These headphones are particularly suitable for racing or mountain biking because they can be worn under a helmet. In addition, two of these headphones can be connected to a playback device. This means that you can share the music with a friend while cycling. You don’t have to listen to the same music.
Because on the cable that holds the two parts together, buttons are attached to which the settings can be made. You can also influence the sound with the right smartphone app. This makes it possible, for example, to turn up the bass particularly strongly.
All headphones presented here are perfect for a tour on a bike. All headphones are wireless and offer good shielding against wind noise. The sound quality of the headphones is also impressive. Have fun on the bike!